Monday, April 7, 2014

Bit Training Part 2 & 3

The last few days consisted of furthering the bit training. I attached what is basically a bungee cord (actually called a neck-stretcher...but that's not how I'm using it) to the bareback pad and connecting it to the bit. I started with the bungee fairly loose so he could get used to the tension and release of pressure. Then gradually I shortened it to where he'd have to turn his head left or right in order to release the pressure. 
The rigging set up loosely.

Slightly tighter, trying to fight the pressure and walk toward me.

By the end he was giving to the pressure and would bend the direction it was pulling him, like this picture!

The third portion of bit training was me riding him in a bit. We started in the round pen and practiced turning so he could learn that turning his head to rein pressure meant that the pressure stopped (i.e. I stopped pulling). At the same time, I'm teaching him to respond to leg pressure so that he learns to listen to leg cues more than the bit (i.e. left leg means turn right and right leg means turn left). Really well trained horses hardly have to be steered with the reins, they just respond to your legs. Reins are supposed to set your horses head, while the legs steer. For example, this horse is being steered with the riders legs which means that the reins can be fairly loose. There are a lot of short cuts to make a horse do this, for example, this horse could have a very severe bit so that the rider only has to touch the reins slightly and the harsh bit is quick to convey what she wants. Or she trained this horse very well so that he responds to light pressure on a light bit...we don't know. However, I'm trying not to take short cuts.  We are far from that point of responsiveness, but we're getting a nice foundation laid. 

Bit training on a small trail ride. This was the scary fence of doom, it took some coaxing for him to touch it...but he did eventually. 

When I was done riding, he kept sticking his head in this bin and playing with the bag. He was flinging this thing around and even knocked over the bin! The lady next to me remarked "most horses are afraid of plastic bags!" Not this guy though! 

Since he was so good with training, I decided to take him to a nice grassy spot to eat. I have to cherish this green right now, because once summer comes it will be so dry.



My sweet animals <3









No comments:

Post a Comment