Thursday, August 27, 2015

Accident Prone Horse

Calvin hurt his face. Where he gets these cuts I haven't the slightest idea, but if there's something sharp in his pasture he will find it. The other day he had a tiny scrape on the side of his face. I figured hmm, I'll fly spray it to keep the flies out and we'll be good. Well I come out yesterday to find that he has itched the living crap out of it and now it's a completely open wound.
After rinsing

Ugh. I tried to think of my plan of attack: if I call the vet she will stitch it, but I *know* he will itch them out, as this is what he did the last time he cut his face open. I cleaned it out, dressed it with some anti-inflammitory/infection cream I also had from the last time he hurt himself, and then sprayed blu-kote on it, then finished with fly spray to keep the nasties out. As much as he's prone to these stupid nicks, I'm just glad it isn't worse. I think he's the perfect example of "curiosity killed the cat."

His injury would get in the way of the bit, so I rode him in a halter on trail. That was quite the experience, I forgot how hard it is to ride a very opinionated horse in a halter. He'd be going along straight and then just randomly veer off into the brush...don't ask me. Anyway, his cut didn't effect his riding performance at all, but we just walked/trotted on the trail. Here are the pics.
Hmm, what is Calvin looking at way up there? Other horses of course

Some much needed shade

Happy horse
No more accidents okay Calvin? Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment