Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Training Update 4.20.16


The last few months have been mainly trail riding, but in the last few weeks I've shifted my training focus back to more arena work. The system I have now is to lunge for about 15 minutes to warm up, ride for about 20-30 minutes. 

I recently acquired a chambon (not to be confused with the neck stretcher or chambon de gouge which cause a break at the 3rd vertebrae). I am in love with this training tool, even more than the side reins. It's a gentle & effective tool that is easy for the horse to understand. I'm utilizing this tool since I'm seeing his top line needs work as shown by a slight dip behind the saddle that I want to eliminate. He seems to be prone to the long QH/Morgan back anyway as well as the tendency to travel downhill. 

The chambon basically encourages long & low to eventually build a solid top line. It will activate if Calvin raises his head too high and I, of course, have it set very loosely since he's a young, green horse. 

It's also important that your horse knows how to respond to poll and bit pressure as I can see how it might startle some horses if they raise their heads and catch themselves too hard. Calvin adjusted to it really quickly and it only took a few laps for him to learn to stretch down. 
Top pic--engaged
Bottom pic--released & traveling long & low (notice his abs engaged & using his back!)

Some purists don't believe in any training tools, but I think tools can be useful since they provide that immediate release/pressure that humans, no matter how good our timing, just can't always get right. Also, the lunging-before-riding warms Calvin up before the weight of a rider, which I view as a positive thing. 

Right now my training goal is improve my leg aids and to build solid back muscle to help Calvin in the later stages of training. We have been working on top line for a while, but I guess his genetics and growth have influenced his back, so I'm creating a greater focus on this area. It's slow work, but rewarding in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment