Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Finally, Some Good News

After Calvin's injury, I decided to try alfalfa again. I had this feeling-- something didn't add up since he's been on alfalfa his whole life up until a year ago. I decided to move him into the big pasture, where they only feed alfalfa and he gets about an acre with a few other horses to see how it would go and I figured worst case, I put him back on orchard.

Calvin was stall bound for about 10 days and it was a long 10 days, he had so much pent up energy and was taking it out by being so bratty: chewing, pawing, stomping, not holding his feet up, spooking, etc. Basically being a five year old. Now I realize why we used to drug the h/j horses so they would just stand still or walk calmly after being confined, unfortunately I did not possess any tranquilizers to make my life easier.

I moved him into the pasture and right away he starts running and playing with the other horses. I wish I had video of him with one of the geldings, but it looked like something you'd see in the wild with them rearing and play-biting each other--but I just couldn't stop watching.


"Catch me if you can angry paint mare!"

The first week of any new pasture involves establishing pack structure. This means he gets chased off, bitten, or kicked while he tries to figure out his place in the hierarchy. It can be hard to watch, so the first week most barn owners are nice and will feed/water the new horse separately until they are integrated. Calvin is used to this and luckily knows how to stick up for himself well enough to sneak some food/water when the more aggressive horses aren't looking, nothing like growing up wild to learn how to survive.


"weeeee! space!"

Within the first 15 minute he hit it off with an old chestnut gelding and they enjoyed antagonizing each other. However, the other day I arrived and he had a girlfriend he was sticking with, so cute!

Calvin's new friends

Oh and did I mention his hives have completely disappeared? I put his allergies on the back burner due to his hoof injury, so my only guess is that it was the wood chips in his stall that caused him to break out and not the alfalfa.

I can't even tell you how relieved I am, this seriously simplified our lives SO much and I am so grateful it was an easy fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment