Friday, November 25, 2016

Saying Goodbye

Happy butts

At the end of September, I said goodbye to Calvin. I was planning on writing this post sooner, but I haven't been ready yet. Of course, writing this has been emotional, but he's sold to a great owner and it was the right decision, but nevertheless a hard one.

Selling a horse is by far one of the most difficult things for me as I don't just see them as commodities, but rather, they are my pets. Horses especially are so gentle, soulful, and adaptable the fact they even let us near them (much less ride them) is honestly amazing. I wish I could keep all of my horses that I've ever owned, but it's just not feasible.

Overall, the decision came down to what is the better choice not only for me, but for my horse. On the human side of things, I'm having to change jobs meaning more hours, stress, and financial obligation not to mention likely having to move out of state. Nothing is really certain, and therefore I don't feel right owning a horse when my own life is in a limbo state. Not to mention that I won't be able to give him the attention and care he needs if I'm focused on work.

Can we talk about how good he looked? I might have confused him for a fancy warmblood ;)

I put Calvin up for sale in August of this year with the goal of having him sold by next summer (2017) with plenty of time to find him the perfect home. Then, a couple came along looking for a steady trail horse since they were retiring one of their older horses. They fell in love with him and he sold in September. It was faster than I was expecting, which was bittersweet really. 

His new owners ride on trail exclusively. They have their own trailer and use it multiple times a month to ride with others in new places. This means Calvin will always be with other horses exploring new trails-- something he's very good at! They were so kind in saying how well trained he is, and really appreciate the slow work I have done with him. Really, they were the perfect fit.

Looking back I'm really impressed with how far he has come in the last three years I've owned him. He went from a scared, insecure baby to a steady trail and responsive dressage horse. He's matured and is truly an amazing mustang ambassador. Most people 1. don't believe he's a mustang and 2. can't believe how well-behaved and friendly he is when they meet him. I hope that he continues to be an amazing ambassador for the breed so that others will consider adopting mustangs as well.


Would I own a mustang again? Hands down, no question. I am a firm believer in the idea that "not all mustangs want to be domesticated," but I believe with the 45,000 in holding, a good amount are going to be exactly what I, or someone else, is looking for in their next horse. I know when I'm considering a horse again, perhaps when things are settled down in my life, I'll definitely consider another mustang for all the reasons I've said before.



For starters, amazing barefoot feet! And these are both fronts <3 (and at 4 weeks, not even freshly trimmed!)

As for the blog, I'm going to do one last post of our final ride together, then I won't be posting any longer. While his new owners do send me frequent photos, I don't feel right sharing them in public and want to respect the new owners' privacy. But thank you friends, family, and strangers who have followed along and asked us about our journey. I hope that some of you enjoyed the read and training progress (and random rants at times) we've embarked upon.

Top: fresh out of the pens (2.5 years old), Bottom: Sept 2016 (5 years old)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete