Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Goals 2015

My goals for 2014 were to teach Calvin the basics of riding (stop,go,turn). However, he far exceeded these goals since I was able to get on him about a month into owning him! It was time to set some new, realistic goals for 2015 as Calvin is officially 4 years old now! His birthday is listed as 1/1/11. Horses in any registry are considered a year older the first of the year, including racehorses, so I'm assuming this is the case with Calvin and he wasn't actually born on 1/1. 

While Calvin was not born in the wild, his mother was captured as a pregnant lady in the wild and gave birth in the pens. He grew up in the holding pens with other wild horses, he just wasn't out on "the range." I always joke that he wouldn't survive in the wild due to his curious and brave nature. Although he likely would have learned from his mom/other mustangs what was dangerous...but we'll never know for sure.

Anyway, now that he's four we can start doing some more work and hence 2015 goals! 

Goal 1: Finding our motor--impulsion
As I've mentioned before, Calvin has more whoa than go. However, we do know that he has a working engine! The key is to harness this energy into work, when I ask for a trot--he needs to go immediately. When I ask for a canter, I should only need to ask once. Also when he's in a certain gait, say the trot, he's not supposed to stop unless I ask him to stop. I shouldn't need to nag him to keep going with my legs 1000x to keep him going. This has been the hardest part as he's either super tired and dull or wide awake and distracted. 

Goal 2: Straightness, straightness, straightness! 
This is the most important first step in classical dressage, making sure your horse travels around straight. Sounds simple right? Not to a wiggly young horse! Sometimes the simplest sounding tasks are the most difficult. 


What a nice pretty line! 

Goal 3: Building a solid top line
According to classical dressage, it takes a year to build a proper top line in a horse. If you've kept up with this blog you likely already read that this is what I've been working on, but it's an ongoing process that like all good things, it takes time. 

Goal 4: Beginning Piaffe
Toward the end of the year, I would like him to start learning the "piaffe." Piaffe is trotting in place as seen in the first few seconds in the video.  I would only expect a few steps from Calvin at this age. When the horse in the video moves forward it is called the passage. Obviously this horse is very advanced and likely had years of practice:

Piaffe is actually supposed to be in one place, not too sure why this horse is moving backwards for part of it. Also note that the mirrors, which are very common in dressage arenas, typically used to check your position. Unfortunately there isn't a mirror anywhere on the boarding property where we are :(

These are very easily obtainable goals for both of us (barring injury) and some of them are taught simultaneously. While I enjoy goals, I never want to feel "rushed" to accomplish something. I want Calvin to always be willing to work and not burnt out mentally. Overall if I practice a couple times a week we should be in good shape. Of course he'll get weeks off here and there to just be a horse (like this past week!). Breaks are just as important as work, as we all know :)

Here's to a productive 2015! 

No comments:

Post a Comment