Friday, January 9, 2015

Karl Niedersuss Saddle Review

My Christmas present from my boyfriend was a dressage saddle! Well, more specifically the "green light" to try out used dressage saddles. Trying out saddles is a complicated affair that involves a number of different factors. However, these factors all fall into two categories: How the saddle fits me and how the saddle fits the horse.

Thanks to the internet, buying a used saddle is much easier than when I was saddle shopping 10 years ago. I've heard mixed results with people buying on eBay, some landing amazing deals while others getting ripped off. I've personally sold saddles on eBay with great results, but buyer beware. Other websites have garnered a reputation for used saddles on the internet including St.Croix Saddlery and Pelham Saddlery. I'm lucky to have a great tack store about an hour from where I live that has a number of used saddles from all disciplines. 

I decided on a used saddle for a number of reasons. First, you get a better used saddle for the price than if I were to get a new saddle. Second, I'm new to dressage and want to make sure it's something I really do enjoy before spending a fortune on a custom saddle. Finally, Calvin is still young and growing meaning that his body will develop and change as he gets older and builds muscle from regular work. I might have to buy a new saddle when he stops growing and "filling out" at around 7 or 8 years of age. 

Anyway, since I'm not part of a dressage training barn I did not have the option to borrow others' saddles to try out on Calvin. Therefore I had to try out used saddles for sale. Most places let you put a refundable deposit down and then you can try the saddle for ~7 days, which is what I did.

The first saddle I've tried is this Karl Niedersuss (KN) "Symphonie" Saddle. KN saddles are made in Austria and were chosen to be used by the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. KN was also the official saddler for the 1988 Olympics and have been making saddles for over 200 years. 

First impressions in the store were that the seat was stiff but it fit me well and was under budget, time to see if it fit Calvin!





Full view of saddle in different lighting conditions, slight wear on the flaps and cantle. Saddle came with stirrups and leathers, a good $100 save. 

For a 10 year old saddle this is in great condition. Also, it's lower priced than what others are offering for the same saddle on the internet *and* it's a newer saddle. One good thing about this brand is that it holds its value really well.

Cantle and rear panels

Stitching on seat

Fit on Calvin was surprisingly good. You are supposed to have 3-4 fingers under the pommel for wither clearance (check). The saddle is supposed to keep off the spine (check) and rest on the muscles  before the ribcage begins (check).
The tree (bones of the saddle) angle is supposed to follow his shoulder/body curvature (check). For such a narrow horse he actually fits in a medium-wide tree, I was pretty surprised.


Saddle is even across is back? (check).

Calvin and I in full dressage get up

Calvin and I trotting around testing the saddle out


The first saddle I've tried fits? This was suspiciously easy! My overall impression of this saddle is that it's not as deep seated as some other brands and rides somewhat stiffer. When I first rode in this I remarked how it feels "european" in that it's not designed for comfort, but practicality. It's not uncomfortable and I'm certainly not in pain from riding in it (like I am with Pessoa saddles, so sad). It's just not like riding on a couch. For our first dressage saddle I'm very happy with it.

1 comment:

  1. Saddles and tacks Ltd offers quality horse and mule saddles, tack, trail riding gear, packing equipment, and hunting and camping supplies for those who want to enjoy the outdoors on horseback. Just like you, we enjoy escaping to the backcountry with our horses and mules. We have field tested and regularly use the horseback riding supplies that we offer (especially our saddlebags, pack saddles and pack panniers) and we routinely introduce new products to better meet the needs of trail riders, packers, and outfitters.

    english saddles for horses


    english saddles for horses

    ReplyDelete