Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sport of Kings

Long referred to as the "sport of kings," horseback riding has been notorious for its expense. My long-time horse friends and I have had long discussions surrounding what it means to succeed in the horse world, ultimately coming to the conclusion that to really be "top" in the field (i.e. nationally and internationally ranked) one has to have tons of money.

Which is really too bad, because it means that there are many talented riders who will never make it to the "top" because they simply can't afford it. It would be nice, though, if the person who "won" in equestrianism was actually a true horseman instead of who runs/jumps/spins the fastest. Which speaks more to society and what we value as "success" anyway, but that is a moral discussion for another day ;)

There are some of us who just simply love horses regardless of the competition aspect. We'll be happy despite not winning the Olympics just because we truly love the horses themselves and not just winning.
Charlotte Dujardin, one of my favorite top dressage riders, looking fabulous at the Olympics.


However, it still feels like there's an "equestrian" expense added to products that really should be less expensive. For example, horse board--shouldn't it be just the price of hay and cleanup? Yet top barns regularly charge $700+ for a tiny12x12 box stall that does not benefit the horse in any way--mentally or physically. As they say: barns are for people, pastures are for horses.
While beautiful eye candy for us humans, the horse would rather be outside eating grass ;)

I'm all about purchasing quality items at a more expensive price--but it actually has to be quality and proven to be worth the expense. Many times it just feels like there's a "horse" charge and I definitely believe this is worse on the English riding side: h/j, eventing & dressage. A half pad for dressage, with no scientific support that it actually distributes weight better (but it has been endorsed by big trainer X) regularly going for over $200. Maybe it's just me, but I think this is worse in the horse world when compared to other sports that have testing behind their products. How much decent quality horse stuff costs, and by decent I mean it won't fall apart, and these are just the starting prices:

  • Show bridles: $200+
  • Quality saddle: $1500+
  • Bits: $50-200
  • Show jacket: $200
  • Breeches: $300 (I'm looking at you Pikeurs!)
  • Everyday shirts sold at equestrian stores: $50+
  • Show helmets: $500
  • Tall boots: $200+
Not to mention the largest expense of all? The horse itself--with midrange show horse prices being 20-80k, high end horses going regularly for 6 figures, and top horses going for millions. 

I try to get less expensive stuff where I can--the "equestrian" sunshirts that are for the heat? I just buy running shirts on Amazon. Helmets? I just get a plastic one (with the exact same safety certification). I try to buy things for half price on ebay and biothane tack or inexpensive western leather for daily use. Yet some things I can't avoid the horse expense such as "cheap" breeches that start at $75+ (and actually feel very cheap, unlike the $200+ tailored sportsmen/Pikeurs) or quality bits for Calvin. I'm not showing, but if I were, I'd have to buy tall boots, a show jacket, show shirt, all of which go for at least $100, individually. The end result is that I use functional tack, but it isn't always pretty. 
Inexpensive horse, western bridle, used saddle, stirrups & breeches from 10+ years ago, cheap helmet/sunshirt/saddlepad. But you know what? It's all functional!


So I don't show, and I try to get the quality things used at a steep discount, but it'd be nice if English riding wasn't catering to the wealthy. It seems as if there's always a feeling of not being good enough because someone doesn't use expensive tack or clothing. Instead of being snobby & pretentious, it would be nice if Equestrianism was focused on the *healthy* partnership between horse and rider instead of which horse can run/jump/spin/etc the fastest. 

This girl would win everything! Truly an amazing partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment