Saturday, November 1, 2014

Dressage or Western?

I'm not sure what I should focus on with Calvin and his training. While I want to ride endurance on the trails, I want to put a solid training foundation on him before we reach that stage. This will make him a more well-rounded horse both on the trail and in the arena. However, I need to choose a focus and I'm debating between Vaquero and Classical Dressage. The reason I have to decide is that the equipment is vastly different and since I'm on limited funds, I can't buy both getups as any horse gear is expensive.

 The vaquero tradition typically uses their "finished" horses as extremely skilled companions for ranch living: sorting cows, working long hours, etc. The classical dressage movement stems from the cavalry and training a skilled horse for the battlefield. To be honest, there aren't a whole lot of differences between the two despite a vastly different turnout in appearance. They both focus on natural horsemanship and both stem from traditions that have been around for centuries. 

Buck Brannaman riding his finished Vaquero horse at the canter

I also love classical dressage, not to be confused with competition dressage (too short reins, constant pulling on the horse's mouth, etc.). Classical dressage is similar to the vaquero tradition actually, focusing on harmony but from an "English" riding perspective.

Anja Beran riding an advanced level dressage horse in the "piaffe"

Luckily Calvin is still young so we're working on basics which underlie each of these foundations, but something to think about for which direction we take within the next year or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment