Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Trail Update

I forgot to post this a few weeks ago. This was our most recent trail ride as I've been mainly focusing on arena work lately. I'm focusing on arena work because it's more of a workout for Calvin in terms of mental stimulation. He has to focus on his feet and the rider's cues which he has a tendency to blow-off on the trail. Once I can get more than 2 days off a week again we'll hit the trails.

Anyway, on our last trail ride Calvin was kind of antsy the whole time and off in la-la-land. I had to pick up some speed to get him to focus again. I could tell he was holding back a serious amount of energy, like making a ADHD kid sit in a chair for an extended period of time. Since he was behaving, I decided to let him gallop a bit. Man, I forgot how fast the horse was! The minute I asked for more canter speed he was off at a dead run, it was exhilarating!  I let him go for about 200 yards before pulling him up and walking him back home.

After his run, he settled down and was pretty tired. Hence I got to get some pictures.

Sweaty Calvin after his run. You'd think with a winter coat he would be calmer in the 95ยบ heat.

Calvin likes to make his mom worry by getting scratches just centimeters from his eyeball. And if you're wondering how he does that, your guess is as good as mine.


Half asleep in sunflowers

Killing three birds with one stone by working out the dogs: Heidi my German Shepherd on the left and my parent's standard poodle Reese on the right.. They were only ever a few seconds behind Calvin. 

We're supposed to go on a trail this weekend with a friend. If so, I'll take pictures and write another update.

No comments:

Post a Comment