Monday, July 6, 2015

Sun Protection for Riding


Did I mention it's hot? And I know most of you locals are thinking "It's only going to get worse," and you'd be right! However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm mourning the springtime cooler temps, what I wouldn't give for a few 50ºF days. Meanwhile, we're an 11 on the UV index scale:

Extreme! I know many people in Europe and the rest of the US are experiencing high temps now too. But stay inside from 10-4? Pfft, those are some unrealistic standards.

As far as sun protection goes, I'm one of those people that uses sunscreen *all the time.* Anytime I know sun is going to hit my skin, whether that's in the winter or summer, I put on sunscreen. Luckily my mom was always shoving sunscreen on me and I was able to ward off serious burns in my childhood (thanks mom!). Once upon a time I tried to tan, I'd go hang out at the beach or pool soaking up the rays. However, I never tanned very easily and had to use sunscreen or else I'd burn. Then by the time I was finally tan (September) it would be winter and all that work vanished. Thankfully my stupid younger-self never did use tanning beds, something about paying money for something you can get for free I just couldn't do, and now I'm so glad I didn't. 

I don't have any desire to look like most horse trainers who spend hours in the sun without sunscreen. These people get a deep tan in their 20s that later turns into leather skin past 30.
Guess which twin spent more time indoors vs. outside? These twins aren't trainers, but sun exposure is sun exposure. 

Elaine gets it

My current sunscreen was out, so I decided to research on sunscreens. I'd heard some speculation and wanted to clear things up, specifically "anything over 30 SPF is negligible." Well, I found myself on a research journey that was very complex. I'll spare you most of the details, but I'll give you the gist: 
  • SPF is only one portion of sun protection and only protects against UVBs, hence it's important to get UVA/UVB protection (you probably already knew this) 
  • UVAs are the pigment darkening and tanning rays that penetrate the deepest into the skin
  • US sunscreen that also has UVA protection is labeled as "broad spectrum." 
    • There's not any specified amount of UVA protection required for the broad spectrum label
However, Japan takes skincare seriously, so they developed a UVA rating called "PA" (protection grade of UVA) that at this time has four levels PA+ (2-4 PPD), PA++ (4-8 PPD), PA+++ (8-16 PPD), and PA++++ (16+). As someone who has no desire to be tan anymore, nor have tan lines that are awkward (thanks horseback riding & cycling haha), this was a welcome surprise. No sunscreen protects against 100% of UVA and UVB rays, but I believe it's close to 98% at this time with 50+ SPF and PA++++
Japanese sunscreen available on Amazon, these are 50+SPF and PA++++! The Biore "Perfect milk" is waterproof/sweatproof so good for riding. I use the Aqua Rich for everyday use such as driving to the office, or anytime I'm outside but not active. 

2015 years! Also, because you may be put-off by the ingredients you may or may not be able to read, there is a fabulous young lady that translated all of them for us, visit her page here for more info.

The only problem is the sunscreen is very small (40ml). My research said this is because the Japanese prefer to carry it with them and also because they wear more protective clothing instead of relying on sunscreen. 
My hand as reference for small sunscreen: note I do not have small hands lol

I spot tested these bad boys just to make sure my skin didn't react negatively to unique ingredients. Once I waited 24 hours, I was in the clear and wow, are these sunscreens amazing. AMAZING. Seriously it is light years away from US sunscreen in terms of comfort, I've always hate putting on sunscreen because it's so gross and greasy. Not this sunscreen though, once you get past the weird texture (it really is like milk), it soaks into your skin and I honestly can't tell it's even there. Highly recommend!

I've also been eyeing Smartpak's website for lightweight, long-sleeved, UV protective shirts too so that I can also use less sunscreen. It says they're good for humidity, which we don't experience much of here, but they're also good for high temps which would be ideal. 
The two I'm seriously considering: Under Armour UPF 50+ and Tailored Sportsman UPF 50+, they come in such fun colors!

Also seriously considering looking like a dork serious endurance competitor and attaching a huge visor (also UPF 50+) to my helmet:
Featured: "Da Brim" visor. For men and women, we don't discriminate around here. 

This is the price we pay for not having a true winter around these parts I suppose. Excuse me while I go slather on more sunscreen and hide in the shade...


No comments:

Post a Comment